Saturday, May 30, 2009

Homeostasis

At times I feel like a microscopic specimen
Placed on a slide and dissected, examined, tested with stimuli and concentrated poisons
Drenched in annotations and complicated scientific formulae.
Placed in a vat with other such complex organisms
to interact and integrate
as the blood is drawn from my veins and filtered of its worth
until I'm left with dust slipping through my arteries
ghostly and unreal.
I'm as an amoeba dividing and conquering
dividing and conquering
multiplying, adding, subtracting until I can't remember which one of me I started as,
while the poisons I'm placed in do their dirty business.
I suck them in, soak them in, a simple osmotic reaction,
letting them slide over my membranes
until they're as much of me as anything else and I drift
in homeostasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment